[BLML] Frail elderly lady (FEL)

Bill & Helen Kemp diggadog at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 22 15:02:36 CET 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Grattan" <grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk>
To: <blml at rtflb.org>
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 5:38 PM
Subject: [BLML] Frail elderly lady (FEL)

> Grattan Endicott<grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk
> ********************************
> "Dreamer of dreams, born out of my due time,
> Why should I strive to set the crooked straight?
> Let it suffice that my murmuring rhyme
> Beats with light wing against the ivory gate
> Telling a tale not too importunate."
>                      [William Morris]
> "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
>
> +=+ As it happened, in a remote parochial bridge
> club, a certain innocent FEL was prevented from
> playing five or six boards of a 26 board session
> The Director was to blame.
>       Upon advice the Director decided to award
> the dear lady her own average (about 54%) on
> the missed boards.  When she was told this the
> FEL said "Oh no, you can't do that, it is against
> the law". She found a law book and showed the
> Director Law 12C2(a); "It says here", she said,
> "that you must give me at least 60% on each
> board." Wriggle as he might, the Director could
> find no authority in the laws for doing anything
> else and I have found nothing legal to counter
> the frail elderly lady's protest.   .
>      Any thoughts?
>                                ~ Grattan ~   +=+

A single pair in a session unable to play 5 or 6 boards with 100% of the
blame belonging to the director!
I would give them their 60% for the 5 or 6 boards bringing their session
average to 55.2% - 55.4%.
I would also be interested in learning another legal solution, preferably
one which the FEL would also be convinced was legal.

bill