[BLML] Rushing in (was Pear(-shape) of Davids Burn)

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Sun Jan 17 20:48:22 CET 2010

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 07:22:07 -0500, Grattan <grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:

> Grattan Endicott<grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk
> ********************************
> "Dreamer of dreams, born out of my due time,
> Why should I strive to set the crooked straight?
> Let it suffice that my murmuring rhyme
> Beats with light wing against the ivory gate
> Telling a tale not too importunate."
>                       [William Morris]
> "''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Do I have the duty to refer any matter to an appropriate committee? To me,
this reads more like a power -- I can handle a "matter" by myself, but I
have the power to refer any matter to an appropriate committee. Would you
say that when a matter comes up I have an obligation to refer it to an
appropriate committee?

>        As to a playing Director's revoke, my opinion is that he is
> at the table as a player not as a Director. He has the responsibilities
> of a player.  If these require the Director to be summoned he calls
> himself, puts on a different hat, rules and rectifies.

This is a really interesting point of view. I agree. But.... what if I am
directing but at the table as a kibitzer? Do I have the obligations of a
kibitzer instead of the obligations of a director? I think so. But then we
are back to not having to rectify a revoke that wasn't noticed when I am
kibitzing.

Bob