[BLML] Law 53 and L16B3 questions

Marvin French mfrench1 at san.rr.com
Mon Jan 4 23:45:19 CET 2010

From: "Peter Eidt"

> Though I'm not Grattan ...
>
> From: "Marvin French" <mfrench1 at san.rr.com>
>> Regarding L53, am I correct in saying that when declarer leads
>> out
>> of turn from dummy and next hand follows, "becomes a correct
>> lead"
>> means that the irregularity/infraction is erased and Law 23's
>> "could
>> have been aware" does not apply?
>
> No.
> It's a common test item to present a scenario
> where declarer is cut off from dummy (with high
> cards) and tries to fool his RHO by thinking a
> long time and then calling a high card from
> dummy (though is is in hand) - hoping that RHO
> is aslept and will follow automatically.
> This case is solved via Law 23 (at least for
> declarer's side).

Law 53 doesn't reference Law 23, nor should it. If a lead becomes a
correct lead, how can it be termed an infraction? Have you ever
heard of an opening lead out of turn, accepted by declarer, being
subjected to Law 23?  Law 53 makes no distinction between the two,
they are treated equally..

>> Regarding L16B3: "When a player has substantial reason to
>> believe...he should summon the Director when play ends. *
>>
>> * It is not an infraction to call the Director earlier or later.
>>
>> Am I correct in saying that the footnote, attached as it is to
>> that
>> L16B3 sentence, means that a player should have "substantial
>> reason
>> to believe" in order to call the TD earlier? Since such evidence
>> can
>> come only at sight of dummy or from the play of the cards,
>> "earlier"
>> does not mean during the auction, right?
>
> No.
> The cited part of Law 16 B3 says (means) that the lawmakers
> would appreciate _every_ TD calling (concerning 16 B3 of course)
> at end of hand. But as they had not in mind to make an earlier or
> later calling an infraction they simply said so.

But there has been no infraction for which to call the TD, as UI
does not constitute one. Can we really call the TD every time a
defender plays or calls too fast or too slow when we judge that
damage could result?

Marv
Marvin L French
San Diego, CA