[BLML] Score adjustment problem.

Adam Wildavsky adam at tameware.com
Tue Dec 21 19:27:56 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Marvin French <mfrench1 at san.rr.com> wrote:

> In total point team play the OS bids an illegal hesitation-inspired
> non-vulnerable 6S over opponents'  vulnerable 6H. The spade slam
> makes only because of  a revoke, +980. The heart slam was cold,
> nothing to the play, and would have scored  +1430.
>
> The adjusted score for the OS is obviously -1430. Now,
>
> 1. What  is  the cost of the revoke, 30 points  or 980+50=1030
> points?
>
> 2. What is the proper adjusted score for the NOS?

I would adjust the NOS score to +1430. I find this case analogous to
Kaplan's Case 6 here:

  http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/lws_lan0.htm

Kaplan wrote:

"... the N-S score should be adjusted ... even if their bid was the
most monstrous, moronic mistake ever made by man. This time it is the
N-S error that is as irrelevant as the battle of Waterloo, since the
zero, their damage, was unrelated to that error. Rather, the damage
was the direct and natural consequence of the infraction. In fact, it
was the inevitable consequence, so how can there be any argument?"

As you can tell from my answer, I read 12C1(b) differently than the
posters so far. I could certainly be mistaken about the intent of the
WBF LC here. I'd love to see an official example covering a case like
this. I don't think the ACBL LC has considered it either -- I'll bring
it up.

--
Adam Wildavsky  <adam at tameware.com>  www.tameware.com