[BLML] The Monty Hall trap [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Nigel Guthrie nigelguthrie at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 11:24:51 CET 2010

[Nigel Guthrie]

[very big snip] award marks out of 10 [very big snip]

[Richard Hills]
Awarding marks out of 10 (as done in Bridge Magazine) or out
of 100 (as done in The Bridge World) for bidding contests is
all very well. But such a methodology is not useful under Law 16B1(b):
"A logical alternative action is one that, among the class
of players in question and using the methods of the
partnership, would be given serious consideration by a
significant proportion of such players, of whom it is judged
some might select it."
Thus only a three-point scale is needed:
(1) "What call* do you select?"
(2) "What other call(s)*, if any, do you seriously consider?
(3) "What residual call(s)* (e.g. electing to open 7NT as
    dealer) do you unseriously reconsider?"
* or play(s)
Merry Christmas,

[Nige2]
I fear this snip indicates that Richard again failed to appreciate the nub of
another constructive suggestion (a way of establishing whether UI altered the
attractiveness of logical alternatives and ensuring that one or more are free of
censure).

But I'm grateful to Richard, for at least reading and criticising a phrase from
it :)
Merry Christmas :)