[BLML] Misinformation and UI?

Eric Landau ehaa at starpower.net
Mon Aug 10 17:00:35 CEST 2009

On Aug 8, 2009, at 5:56 PM, Steve Willner wrote:

> SW> I would have thought so too, but it isn't clear to me exactly
> which
> SW> Law in the 2007 book makes it so.
>
>> From: Matthias Berghaus <ziffbridge at t-online.de>
>> L73D1 and L16A1c
>
> L73D1 covers variations in tempo but not such things as posture, eye
> contact, gestures, remarks, etc.  L16A1c just authorizes anything
> that's
> mentioned somewhere else.
>
> It looks very much as though the 2007 Laws have an important lacuna.
>
> From: Grattan <grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk>
>> Some players thought they could understand it
>> to mean a single reaction or behavioural response to a
>> situation or an occurrence.  But this is not a mannerism.
>> To be a mannerism the dictionary requires that it conform
>> to the constant pattern of the individual's response
>
> I don't find "mannerism" (of an opponent) authorized anywhere, but
> where
> the word is used, the context seems to me more consistent with
> "mannerism" meaning a single indication, not necessarily a habit.  For
> example, L76B3 doesn't prohibit gestures unless they constitute
> "mannerisms."  Does anyone think informative gestures by spectators
> are
> legal?

Of course it must mean a single indication!  Otherwise a player
observing such a mannerism becomes responsible by law for knowing
whether it is a "single reaction" or part of a "constant pattern" if
he wishes to note it at all, subject to retroactively revealed
constraints on his subsequent bidding (hence a potential score
adjustment) if he guesses wrongly.

The alternative is ludicrous.  It would mean that if my opponent
shows clear signs of distress at his partner's having bid too much, I
must bend over backwards to avoid doubling unless I have no logical
alternative, or unless I know that he regularly reacts
inappropriately when his partner overbids!

Eric Landau
1107 Dale Drive
Silver Spring MD 20910
ehaa at starpower.net