[BLML] Error in the Law book, Auction begins when?

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Wed Aug 5 03:52:29 CEST 2009

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 17:11:29 -0400, Grattan <grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:

> Grattan Endicott<grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk
> (also <gesta at tiscali.co.uk - temporarily or
>               perhaps permanently suspended)
> Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:31 PM
> Subject: Re: [BLML] Error in the Law book, Auction
>                                                                 begins
> when?
>

>> If only....one day perhaps.
>>
>> lnb
>> **********************
>> The 3 ages of man.tri-weekly; try weekly; try
>> weakly.
>> **********************
>>
>> Law 73A1:
>> "Communication between partners during the _auction_
>> and play shall be effected only by means of calls
>> and plays. "
>>
>> This laws makes it possible for me and my partner to
>> withdraw our hands from the baord and start to talk
> +=+ Yes. At this time you are not restricted to only calls and
> plays. Your opponents are at the table, which you may not
> now leave. Disclosure procedure is subject to regulation.
>         All quite intentional - especially that regulation bit.
>         And, of course, Law 73C is now in operation.  To the
> best of my recollection there is no authorization in the laws
> for a player to communicate anything about the hand or
> partnership methods relating to it, see Law 16A3.

I think it is legal to discuss partnership agreements: "Partnership
understandings as to the methods adopted by a partnership may be reached
explicitly in discussion...." As part of the legal procedures of the game,
that makes those communications AI (Law 16A1(c)).

Furthermore, any information acquired before a player takes his hand from
a board is AI. (Law16A1(d)). Assuming the laws do not preclude use of this
information.

Is there any prohibition in the law. Law 73A1 does a lot: "Communication
between partners during the auction and play shall be effected only by
means of calls and plays." That leaves the little window before the
auction starts but after a player has seen his hand.

And by the way, isn't L73A1 a little too thorough? Can't you try to
prevent an irregularity or ask about a possible revoke?

Bob