[BLML] Error in the Law book, Auction begins when?

Sven Pran svenpran at online.no
Tue Aug 4 23:46:54 CEST 2009

Well, at least I have the satisfaction from law 24 that my ruling was
correct because this law begins with the text:

When the Director determines that during the auction period because of a
player's own error one or more cards of that player's hand were in position
for the face to be seen by his partner, the Director shall require that
every such card be left face up on the table until the auction period ends.

And according to Law 17 "The auction period on a deal begins for a side when
either partner withdraws his cards from the board".

I find it very unfortunate (linguistic) that the term "Auction period" is
not synonymous with the period during which the auction takes place, and
beginning now I shall spend some time trying to find any part of the laws
where the difference in starting times for "Auction" and for "Auction
period" is significant. It is in my opinion unacceptable if (as asked by
another poster) the effect is that both players in a partnership can remove
their cards from the board, look at them, and then begin discussing their
systemic agreements.

Regards Sven