[BLML] Error in the Law book, Auction begins when?

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Tue Aug 4 23:13:18 CEST 2009

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:25:39 -0400, Peter Eidt <PeterEidt at t-online.de>
wrote:

> From: Adam Beneschan <adam at irvine.com>
>> > I don't see the problem. The "auction" is not the same
>> > as the "auction period".
>>
>> It's interesting to note that in the 1997 Laws, Law 24 applied when
>> cards were exposed during the "auction"; while in the 2007 Laws, this
>> was changed to "auction period".  It looks to me as though the
>> Lawmakers understood that these were distinct terms with distinct
>> meanings, and deliberately changed this in 2007 (for the better, I
>> assume; I'd guess that the real discrepancy was in the 1997 Laws).
>
> I agree.
> But I found (there is) another place in the laws which was
> not transformed by the 2007 Laws.
>
> Law 73A1:
> "Communication between partners during the _auction_
> and play shall be effected only by means of calls and plays. "
>
> This laws makes it possible for me and my partner to
> withdraw our hands from the baord and start to talk ...

I would guess not. Once your partner takes his hand from the board, I
think anything you say to him will be extraneous information for him by
Law 16A1. So the best you can do look at your hand and tell your partner
what conventions you are playing *before* he takes his hand out of the
board. Then it is AI. (Or tell the opponents instead and satisfy your
L40A1(b) obligations).)

I don't think any director will actually let you get away with it.