[BLML] [Fwd: Re: Misinformation and UI?]

Eric Landau ehaa at starpower.net
Tue Aug 4 22:24:55 CEST 2009

On Aug 2, 2009, at 6:36 AM, Grattan wrote:

> From: "Matthias Berghaus" <ziffbridge at t-online.de>
>
>  If I can no longer play KJT opposite Axx by
> leading the jack and  watching what an opponent
> does, that is a revolutionary change in the game.
> Likewise if _anything_ an opponent voluntarily
> does is not AI to me.
>
> +=+ There was a problem with 'mannerisms'. Not being
> included in the law book Definitions, it had its dictionary
> meaning. Some players thought they could understand it
> to mean a single reaction or behavioural response to a
> situation or an occurrence.  But this is not a mannerism.
> To be a mannerism the dictionary requires that it conform
> to the constant pattern of the individual's response to
> situations or events, part of his style, a characteristic
> peculiarity of manner.
>        The word 'mannerisms' is now substituted with the
> word 'traits' which even more clearly requires that what
> the player relies on is characteristic of the opponent.
>       L73D1 and L16A1(c) provide for the KJ10 ploy,
> and see 73D2, 74C7. In this regard I do not see that
> anything has changed from 1997.

Say what?  This is getting more absurd by the minute (pun intended).

I lead my jack towards my ace, LHO hitches before playing small, I
choose to play him for the queen and run the jack.  Does Grattan
really mean to say that this is legal only if my LHO regularly
hitches over the jack with the queen (thus consitituting a "trait"),
but is illegal, subject to L16 adjudication for "using UI" if he only
hitched in this position just this once (thus not a "trait" or
"mannerism").  That is what his first two paragraphs state.  I guess
that must mean that I will be held responsible for knowing whether an
opponent's apparent "tell" is or isn't sufficiently "characteristic"
to constitute a "trait" any time I want to try to read a position by
table feel.

Plain common sense says that it is absolutely ridiculous to interpret
L16 in such a way that one may be constrained by it due solely to an
*opponent's* infraction or violation of correct procedure.  Under any
circumstances.  Bridge cannot be played that way.

Eric Landau
1107 Dale Drive
Silver Spring MD 20910
ehaa at starpower.net