[BLML] Error in the Law book, Auction begins when?

Sven Pran svenpran at online.no
Tue Aug 4 18:09:57 CEST 2009

I have accidentally discovered a discrepancy in the 2007 law book:

Definitions:

Auction  - 1.  The process of determining the contract by means of
successive calls. It begins when the first call is made.  2. The aggregate
of calls made (see Law 17).

Law 17:

A. Auction Period Starts

The auction period on a deal begins for a side when either partner withdraws
his cards from the board.

During the Norwegian Bridge Festival I had a player that exposed all her
cards after withdrawing them from the board but before the first call on
that board was made. I ruled according to Law 17 and Law 24 that all her
cards were exposed during the auction period, and consider this the correct
ruling in spite of what has been written in definitions about when the
auction begins.

But I certainly hope that this discrepancy will be resolved ASAP?
(Grattan?)

Regards Sven