[BLML] Do you believe a claim of mispull?

David Grabiner grabiner at alumni.princeton.edu
Mon Aug 3 04:19:40 CEST 2009

It seems to have become common that players who commit an infraction with a
bidding box claim to have mispulled, rather than to have made a mental error.
Should we treat this claim skeptically, as we do when a player who had
unauthorized information claims that he had no logical alternative in his
bidding system, or claims that he has an unmarked agreement and there was a
misbid rather than misinformation?

For example:

W   N   E
1S  2D  2C

When the director was called about the insufficient bid, East claimed to have
mispulled, and thus South was not given a chance to accept the insufficient bid.
This is certainly a reasonable mispull, but East's hand was rather weak to have
intended a 3C bid.  (I don't know whether N-S were damaged by denying South the
opportunity to accept the 2C bid.)

I have also seen players claim a mispull which was unlikely given the call; one
player claimed to have mispulled a pass when he intended to make a bid (and not
a skip bid; mispulling a pass when the intention was to pull the STOP card is
reasonable).