[BLML] It's too late to discuss conventions when...

Grattan grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 00:18:06 CEST 2009

Grattan Endicott<grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk
(also <gesta at tiscali.co.uk - temporarily or
              perhaps permanently suspended)
**********************************
" A vacuum can only exist, I imagine,
  by the things which enclose it."
                  ~ Zelda Fitzgerald  (1932)
*********************************
----- Original Message -----
From: <rfrick at rfrick.info>
Sent: Sunday, August 02, 2009 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: [BLML] It's too late to discuss conventions when...

 My question is if we can have this discussion after an
opponents has called. Suppose our opponent opens
1NT and we have not taken our hands out of the board.
On one hand, it doesn't seem fair that we can now
discuss our defenses to a 1NT opening; on the other
hand, perhaps our opponent should have waited for us
to look at our cards before opening the bidding.

+=+ Among the places one may look to resolve this
question I can think of these:
       Law 73A1;  and see Definitions - 'Auction' (1).
       Law 40A1(b) and any regulations authorized by it.
                                       ~ Grattan ~  +=+