[BLML] [Fwd: Re: Misinformation and UI?]

Grattan grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Aug 2 12:36:43 CEST 2009

Grattan Endicott<grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk
(also <gesta at tiscali.co.uk - temporarily or
              perhaps permanently suspended)
**********************************
" A vacuum can only exist, I imagine,
  by the things which enclose it."
                  ~ Zelda Fitzgerald  (1932)
*********************************
----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthias Berghaus" <ziffbridge at t-online.de>
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 7:53 AM
Subject: Re: [BLML] [Fwd: Re: Misinformation and UI?]

> Steve Willner schrieb:
 From: Sven Pran <svenpran at online.no>
Opponents' mannerisms are certainly AI to me...

 I would have thought so too, but it isn't clear to
me exactly which Law in the 2007 book makes
it so.

> L73D1 and L16A1c

 If I can no longer play KJT opposite Axx by
leading the jack and  watching what an opponent
does, that is a revolutionary change in the game.
Likewise if _anything_ an opponent voluntarily
does is not AI to me.

+=+ There was a problem with 'mannerisms'. Not being
included in the law book Definitions, it had its dictionary
meaning. Some players thought they could understand it
to mean a single reaction or behavioural response to a
situation or an occurrence.  But this is not a mannerism.
To be a mannerism the dictionary requires that it conform
to the constant pattern of the individual's response to
situations or events, part of his style, a characteristic
peculiarity of manner.
       The word 'mannerisms' is now substituted with the
word 'traits' which even more clearly requires that what
the player relies on is characteristic of the opponent.
      L73D1 and L16A1(c) provide for the KJ10 ploy,
and see 73D2, 74C7. In this regard I do not see that
anything has changed from 1997.
                          ~ Grattan ~   +=+