[BLML] Misinformation and UI?

Grattan grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Aug 1 11:43:26 CEST 2009

Grattan Endicott<grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk
(also <gesta at tiscali.co.uk - temporarily or
              perhaps permanently suspended)
**********************************
" A vacuum can only exist, I imagine,
  by the things which enclose it."
                  ~ Zelda Fitzgerald  (1932)
**********************************
----- Original Message -----
From: "Sven Pran" <svenpran at online.no>
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 8:41 AM
Subject: Re: [BLML] Misinformation and UI?

> On Behalf Of Grattan
>> (WBFLC minute, 24th august 1998)
>>   "The Secretary drew attention to those who
>> argued that where an action was stated in the laws
>> (or regulations) to be authorized, other actions if
>> not expressly forbidden were also legitimate. The
>> Committee ruled that this is not so; the Scope of the
>> Laws states that the laws define correct procedure
>> and anything not specified in the laws is, therefore,
>> 'extraneous' and it may be deemed an infraction
>> of law if information deriving from it is used in the
>> auction or play.".
>> (Grattan)
>
> The way I understand this minute is that it addresses
> actions not explicitly allowed in the laws and considers
> any information derived from such actions extraneous
> and unauthorized, but only for the offending side. I
> cannot see that this minute denies a non-offending
> side any rights they otherwise have, for instance from
> Law 73D1?

+=+ The minute addressed the argument being made
in 1998 that if something is not forbidden in the laws
it is allowed. The WBFLC decision was of general
application and established that for all players the use
of such extraneous information is unlawful. It applied
even before any other offence had occurred.  Positive
authorization is required for a call or play to be lawfully
based.
      Law 16A1 applies generally, including before any
offence has been committed, and Law 16A3 brings
the 1998 decision into the law book in a specific
statement.
                               ~ Grattan ~   +=+